By Nancy A. Hewitt
This choice of twenty-four unique essays by way of major students in American women's historical past highlights the latest very important scholarship at the key debates and destiny instructions of this well known and modern field.
• Covers the breadth of yankee Women's heritage, together with the colonial family members, marriage, overall healthiness, sexuality, schooling, immigration, paintings, patron tradition, and feminism.
• Surveys and evaluates the simplest scholarship on each very important period and subject.
• comprises accelerated bibliography of titles to steer additional study.
Read or Download A Companion to American Women's History PDF
Similar women books
At her dying in 1817, Jane Austen left the realm six of the main liked novels written in English—but her shortsighted family members destroyed the majority of her letters; and if she saved any diaries, they didn't live on her. Now acclaimed biographer Claire Tomalin has crammed the gaps within the list, making a remarkably clean and convincing portrait of the girl and the author.
While so much Austen biographers have accredited the statement of Jane's brother Henry that "My expensive Sister's lifestyles was once now not a lifetime of events," Tomalin exhibits that, to the contrary, Austen's short existence used to be fraught with upheaval. Tomalin offers distinctive and soaking up bills of Austen's ill-fated love for a tender Irishman, her widespread travels and prolonged visits to London, her shut friendship with a sophisticated cousin whose French husband met his demise at the guillotine, her brothers' naval provider within the Napoleonic wars and within the colonies, and hence shatters the parable of Jane Austen as a sheltered and homebound spinster whose wisdom of the realm used to be constrained to the view from a Hampshire village.
Women in the Civil War: Extraordinary Stories of Soldiers, Spies, Nurses, Doctors, Crusaders, and Others
Whilst the Civil conflict broke out, girls spoke back the decision for support. They broke clear of their conventional roles and served in lots of capacities, a few of them even going as far as to conceal themselves as males and enlist within the military. Estimates of girls disguising themselves as males and enlisting diversity from four hundred to seven-hundred and files point out that nearly 60 girls squaddies have been identified to were killed or wounded.
A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World, Volume 165)
A significant other to ladies within the old international offers an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of newly-commissioned essays from well-liked students at the learn of girls within the historical world.
• the 1st interdisciplinary, methodologically-based number of readings to deal with the learn of ladies within the historical international
• Explores a large diversity of subject matters on the subject of girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess concept; girls in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; ladies and the kin, the kingdom, and faith; costume and Adornment; woman Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; girls in overdue Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and lots of extra
• Thematically prepared to stress the significance of old issues of continuity, improvement, and innovation
• Reconsiders a lot of the well known facts and preconceived notions with regards to ladies in antiquity comprises contributions from the various such a lot favourite students linked to the examine of ladies in antiquity
Selected through selection as a 2013 amazing educational Title
Awarded a 2013 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
- Good Girls, Good Food, Good Fun: The Story of USO Hostesses during World War II (Gender and American Culture)
- When Women Sexually Abuse Men: The Hidden Side of Rape, Stalking, Harassment, and Sexual Assault
- Shirin Ebadi: Champion for Human Rights in Iran (Modern Peacemakers)
- Big Girls Do It Better (Big Girls Do It, Book 1)
- Hottentot Venus: A Novel
Additional resources for A Companion to American Women's History
If you are carefdl you may have two men for one female,” or “endeavour all you can to have your Number of Males exceed the females,” or “the number of women Exceeding [men] doeth much disparayes the whole Cargoe” (Royal African Company Instructions, 1692, 1694, 1698). In an attempt to explain to Royal African Company officials the large numbers of women he purchased, George Hingston wrote that “as yett wee find ye women generally Better than the men” (Hingston Journal, March 1678). Their instructions, then, often reflected the Company’s inability to dictate the terms of trade.
German Sources for West Afican History, 159F1669. Weisbaden: Franz Steiner, 1983, pp. 132-359. Snelgrave, William (1734) A New Account of Some Parts of Guinea, and the Slave Trade. London: J. J. and P. Knapton. Van Nyendael, David. “A Description of Rio Formosa or.. Benin,” in William Bosman, A New and Accurate Description of the Coast of Guinea, The Netherlands, 1704; first Enghsh edition, London, 1705; fourth English edition, London: Frank Cass, 1967. Secondary Sources Bay, Edna G. (1995) “Belief, Legitimacy and the Kpojito: An Institutional History of the ‘Queen Mother’ in Precolonial Dahomey,” Journal of Afican History 36, pp.
Neumann, Klaus (1994) “ ‘In Order to Win Their Friendship’: Renegotiating First Contact,” 7he Contemporary Pacific 6, pp. 11145. Nussbaum, Felicity A. (1995) Torvid Zones: Maternity, Sexuality, and Empire in Eighteenthcentury English Narratives. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. Perdue, Theda (1998) Cherokee Women: Gender and Culture Change, 170&1835. Lincoln: Nebraska University Press. Perry, Ruth (1991) “Colonizing the Breast: Sexuality and Maternity in Eighteenth-century England,” Journal of the History of Sexuality 2, pp.