By Lena Larsson Lovén, Agneta Strömberg (eds.)
Read Online or Download Aspects of women in antiquity: proceedings of the first Nordic Symposium on Women's Lives in Antiquity, Göteborg 12 - 15 June 1997, Volume 1997 PDF
Similar women books
At her loss of life in 1817, Jane Austen left the area six of the main liked novels written in English—but her shortsighted kinfolk destroyed the majority of her letters; and if she stored any diaries, they didn't continue to exist her. Now acclaimed biographer Claire Tomalin has crammed the gaps within the checklist, making a remarkably clean and convincing portrait of the girl and the author.
While so much Austen biographers have permitted the statement of Jane's brother Henry that "My pricey Sister's existence used to be now not a lifetime of events," Tomalin exhibits that, to the contrary, Austen's short lifestyles used to be fraught with upheaval. Tomalin offers special and soaking up bills of Austen's ill-fated love for a tender Irishman, her common travels and prolonged visits to London, her shut friendship with a sophisticated cousin whose French husband met his dying at the guillotine, her brothers' naval carrier within the Napoleonic wars and within the colonies, and therefore shatters the parable of Jane Austen as a sheltered and homebound spinster whose wisdom of the realm used to be constrained to the view from a Hampshire village.
While the Civil struggle broke out, ladies replied the decision for support. They broke clear of their conventional roles and served in lots of capacities, a few of them even going as far as to hide themselves as males and enlist within the military. Estimates of girls disguising themselves as males and enlisting diversity from four hundred to seven hundred and files point out that nearly 60 ladies squaddies have been recognized to were killed or wounded.
A better half to ladies within the historical global offers an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of newly-commissioned essays from in demand students at the learn of ladies within the historic world.
• the 1st interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of readings to deal with the learn of ladies within the historic international
• Explores a large diversity of themes when it comes to ladies in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess idea; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the relatives, the country, and faith; gown and Adornment; woman Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; girls in past due Antiquity; Early ladies Saints; and plenty of extra
• Thematically prepared to stress the significance of ancient topics of continuity, improvement, and innovation
• Reconsiders a lot of the well known proof and preconceived notions in relation to girls in antiquity contains contributions from a few of the such a lot renowned students linked to the examine of girls in antiquity
Selected by way of selection as a 2013 extraordinary educational Title
Awarded a 2013 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
- Online Dating as A Strategic Game: Why and How Men in Hong Kong Use QQ to Chase Women in Mainland China
- Becoming an Engineer in Public Universities: Pathways for Women and Minorities (Palgrave Studies in Urban Education)
- When Women Sexually Abuse Men: The Hidden Side of Rape, Stalking, Harassment, and Sexual Assault
- Maya Angelou (People in the News)
- Equal Rites, Unequal Outcomes: Women in American Research Universities (Innovations in Science Education and Technology) , 1st Edition
- Sounds and Sweet Airs: The Forgotten Women of Classical Music
Extra resources for Aspects of women in antiquity: proceedings of the first Nordic Symposium on Women's Lives in Antiquity, Göteborg 12 - 15 June 1997, Volume 1997
Don’t miss any opportunity to gain knowledge about yourself and how to work better with others. Remember, the very best leaders know what their weaknesses are, and they work every single day to close the gap between aspiration and performance. Once you’ve decided what you’re committed to working on, do your homework. You will discover that people have more weaknesses in common than strengths, so you will be able to ﬁnd a wealth of information on virtually any deﬁciency by talking with others. Pick the brains of friends and colleagues.
Competition for the top jobs in corporate America is tough. There are far more qualiﬁed candidates than job openings. That means it’s up to you to make sure your brand is one that helps you stand out from the crowd. People make assumptions about you and even decide whether to do business with you before ever meeting you, on the basis of your personal brand. Realize that you have a brand whether you’ve consciously crafted one or not. Once you enter into a leadership position at any level, you will ﬁnd that you are communicating even when you think you have nothing in particular to say.
Are you tapping into everyone who can help you grow and lead? Looking at yourself in the mirror should neither send you into a tailspin nor soothe you into mindless self-congratulation. It should push you to strive to be the leader who identiﬁes and actively works on personal developmental needs, the leader who has open dialogue with her team. The strongest leaders are those who are aware of themselves as well as everyone around them. They know what they want and how to go about getting it. Dare to know yourself, and join them.