By Amitabh Joshi
This e-book presents a entire creation to the theoretical and experimental reviews of atomic optical bistability and multistability, and their dynamical homes in structures with - and three-level inhomogeneously-broadened atoms inside of an optical hollow space. by way of utilizing the converted linear absorption and dispersion, in addition to the vastly greater nonlinearity within the three-level electromagnetically triggered transparency procedure, the optical bistablity and effective all-optical switching might be accomplished at rather low laser powers, which might be good managed and manipulated. earlier, the fast price of growth in functions of multilevel structures in cross-disciplinary box has made it tricky to beginners to the sphere to procure a wide assessment of this subject. This monograph will serve the aim.
Readership: Graduate scholars, researchers and teachers in optical physics.
Read Online or Download Controlling Steady-State and Dynamical Properties of Atomic Optical Bistability PDF
Best nanostructures books
One-dimensional quantum structures express attention-grabbing houses past the scope of the mean-field approximation. even though, the advanced arithmetic concerned is a excessive barrier to non-specialists. Written for graduate scholars and researchers new to the sphere, this booklet is a self-contained account of the way to derive the unique quasi-particle photo from the precise resolution of types with inverse-square interparticle interactions.
The layout of mechanical buildings with enhanced and predictable sturdiness can't be completed and not using a thorough knowing of the mechanisms of fatigue harm and extra particularly the relationships among the microstructure of fabrics and their fatigue houses. Written via best specialists within the box, this e-book (which is complementary to Fatigue of fabrics and buildings: program to break and layout, additionally edited via Claude Bathias and Andre Pineau), offers an authoritative, finished and unified therapy of the mechanics and micromechanisms of fatigue in metals, polymers and composites.
This ebook explains reliability recommendations with examples from electronics layout for the advantage of engineers. It provides the applying of de-rating, FMEA, overstress analyses and reliability development exams for designing trustworthy digital apparatus. sufficient info is supplied for designing automated reliability database process to help the applying of the concepts via designers.
There was major progress within the box of nanofluidics, the place nanoscale analytical tools hire micromachined gains and may be able to manage fluid samples with excessive precision and potency and feature many benefits over their traditional (larger) analogues. the recent version of Nanofluidics has been totally revised and up-to-date with the most recent developments and purposes.
- Thermometry at the nanoscale : techniques and selected applications
- Thermodynamics of Materials
- Mechanical Wear Fundamentals and Testing: Second Edition, Revised and Expanded (Mechanical Engineering)
- Advances in Plasma-Grown Hydrogenated Films, Volume 30 (Thin Films and Nanostructures)
- Dielectric Breakdown in Gigascale Electronics: Time Dependent Failure Mechanisms (SpringerBriefs in Materials)
Additional info for Controlling Steady-State and Dynamical Properties of Atomic Optical Bistability
37), respectively. 37). The most obvious effect is the suppression of cavity transmission when the atomic medium is highly absorptive at a cavity resonant frequency. , dn/dω = 0, in the atomic medium causes nearby cavity resonant frequencies to be shifted. The interesting phenomena arising out of such composite system of atomic medium inside the optical cavity include optical bistability and related effects which will be discussed in following chapters. Normally, to observe optical bistability one needs feedbacks of optical radiation to the intracavity nonlinear medium, which can be provided by the optical cavity.
2. The slowing down of the group velocity in the probe laser beam can be attributed to the rapid variation in refractive index or the enhanced normal dispersion June 20, 2012 17:34 World Scientific Book - 9in x 6in Introduction ws-book9x6 37 due to the coupling beam-induced atomic coherence in this EIT system. Significant improvements in experimental conditions could and had been made over the years from this initial experiment and further reduction of group velocity has been observed. For example, with narrow linewidth and frequency-locked laser sources, specially chosen atomic levels, and inclusion of buffer gases in the atomic vapor cell, the dispersion change can be greatly enhanced.
The medium shows transparency at the line center when the Rabi frequency of the coupling field is much larger compared to the Doppler width of the |1 → |3 transition . Such transparency is a result of the destructive interference between the Autler-Townes split components of the |1 → |3 transition created by the coupling field at ωC . This interference does not reduce the nonlinearity of the system responsible for the generation of ωd , due to a change of sign in the dressed eigenvector. As a matter of fact, there is a constructive rather than destructive interference in the nonlinear susceptibility [4,67] in view of the up-converted frequency lying between the Autler-Townes components.